- Under ‘Taruni Suvidha Programme’ Gujarat government decided to make available a packet of six sanitary napkins to all girls in the age group of 10-19 at the nominal rate of ₹ 1 /- . This will be implemented in a phased manner
- Health Minister Nitin Patel said that this decision was taken observing the fact that poor and middle-class families girls were not using sanitary napkins which is creating health problems
- Currently Gujarat government, with backing from the Central government, was providing a packet of six sanitary napkins at ₹ 6/- per packet to girls of four districts
- Napkins will be distributed by Asha workers for the girls who are not studying.
- Gujarat Government has in its budget approved 100% tax exemption to sanitary napkins.