- Amid chanting of Vedic hymns,Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N.Chandrababu Naidu on Saturday performed ‘bhoomi puja’ or ground breaking ceremony of the new state capital Amaravathi.
- As the clock struck 8.49 a.m., Naidu accompanied by his wife Bhuvaneswari and son N. Lokesh performed the rituals at a colourful ceremony in Mandadam village in Guntur district.
- Central and state ministers, MPs, state legislators, senior officials and leaders of the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) participated in prayers and other rituals which continued for two hours.
- Naidu, his family members and ministers poured cement into a pit to mark the ceremony.
- The chief minister later ploughed the field with a traditional ploughshare, while his wife sowed nine chief grains in the soil.
- Addressing a public meeting after the ground breaking ceremony, the TDP chief said the day would go down in the history of Andhra Pradesh as a red-letter day.
- Chief Minister said it was good fortune of five crore Telugus that they have got an opportunity to build a 21st century capital.
- Naidu said it would not be a mere administrative capital ,but a city which will transform people’s live.
- The capital will be a dynamic city, an economic capital which will give jobs to people and a tourism centre.
- Naidu said he choose Amaravathi region for the capital, as it was centrally located and accessible from all parts of the state.
Singapore and CM
- Singapore has developed the master plan for Amaravathi. The chief minister said leaders of Singapore told him that Andhra capital would be better than even Singapore.