- Government will roll out its multi-billion dollar food welfare plan by December.
- The previous Congress-led government approved the National Food Security Act (NFSA) in August 2013.
- India’s 29 states and seven federally administered territories had to implement it within a year.
- After missing several deadlines, only 11 states could introduce the plan and the rest sought more time.
- Finally most states have agreed to implement the NFSA by December.
- In his February budget, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley earmarked Rs 1.24 trillion rupees ($20.11 billion) for food subsidies.