- Ratan Watal was designated as finance secretary on Monday
- Watal is an Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of the Andhra Pradesh cadre from 1978 batch.
- He is branded as a model Narendra Modi bureaucrat and is known to do his job meticulously.
- Watal as expenditure secretary ensured that the government fulfils its stated commitment of increasing public expenditure in infrastructure to drive economic growth.
- Rajiv Mehrishi who is a finance and economic affairs secretary is designated as home secretary for a period of two years.