- Government declared that newly manufactured four-wheeled vehicles with Bharat Stage IV-compliant will be sold and registered from October onwards.
- Jammu & Kashmir, barring Leh and Kargil, Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, parts of Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh are the 7 states in which this will be implemented and by April 1, 2017 will be enforced in the entire country.
- Under Rajasthan, Hanumangarh and Sri Ganganagar district and under Uttar Pradesh, districts of Saharanpur, Muzaffarnagar, Bijnaur, Jyotiba Phule Nagar, Rampur, Muradabad, Aligarh, Badaun, Bareilly, Mathura, Mahamayanagar, Etah, Agra, Firozabad, Etawah, Mainpuri, Pilibhit, Shamli, Sambhal, Farrukabad, Kannauj, Auriya and Kasganj will come under new emission norms.
- Later BS-IV emission norms will be implemented in five more states of Goa, Kerala, Karnataka, Telangana and Odisha, and by April 1, 2016 it will be implemented in Union territories of Daman and Diu, Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Andaman and Nicobar Islands and in some districts of Gujarat, Mumbai and Maharashtra which include Thane and Pune .
- It is already available in the National Capital Region and the cities of Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Ahmadabad, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Secunderabad, Kanpur, Pune, Surat, Agra, Lucknow and Sholapur since April 1, 2010.
- Governemt said when compared with BS III fuel BS-IV fuel reduce the the emissions of Carbon Mono-oxide(CO), Hydrocarbon (HC), Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) and Sulphur (SOx)