Popularisation of Indian culture by promoting quality books is the major objective of this Scheme component. Another purpose is to create a climate in which a vast number of people would buy and read books.
Financial Assistance is proposed for organizing Regional/ National Book Fairs, Exhibitions of rare publications/ manuscripts/ official documents etc., Seminars, Conferences and other related events for promotion of books and reading habits. Participation in International Book Fairs is also covered in this Scheme. Not-for-Profit organizations, including Societies, Trusts, Universities, Publishers and Book Trade Associations are eligible to apply for grant. Eminent Authors and Publishers who have been invited to attend international events like Literary Festivals/ Book Fairs are also eligible to apply for grant under this Scheme. The Scheme is, however, not meant for such organizations or institutions that are functioning as religious institutions, or as schools/ colleges.
The organizations seeking grant should have been functioning and registered under the Societies Registration Act (XXI of 1860 – an Act for the Registration of Literary, Scientific, and Charitable Societies), Trusts Act, Companies Act or any Central or State Act for at least three years.
Financial assistance for participation in International events would normally cover economy class air fare, boarding and lodging (i.e. per diem) charges according to the existing government rates. Packing and shipping of books and other exhibits and insurance charges (wherever applicable) are also to be covered.
- The applicant organization should, in order to qualify for the grant, have a properly constituted Managing Body or Governing Council with its powers, duties and responsibilities clearly defined and laid down in the form of a written constitution.
- It must have tied up or planned the matching resources at least to the extent of 25 % of the project cost.
- It should have facilities, resources, personnel and experience to take up the event/ project for which a grant is required.
- Past experience of holding or participating in such events, as applied for, would be given preference.
- Eminent authors and publishers who have been invited to participate in Book Fairs, Literary Festivals and other International events to present papers etc. may also apply for grant under the Scheme.
Types of Activities to be assisted and extent of Assistance:
- Book Fairs/ exhibitions which promote reading are normally held all over the country during the winter season. Major annual book fairs are organized in cities like Delhi, Kolkata, Patna, Chennai and some other state capitals primarily under the aegis of local publishers’ associations.
- Financial assistance may be given for the organisation of book fairs, book exhibitions and related events including exhibition of rare books, manuscripts, rare government documents, etc., in India and abroad.
- Participation in major International Book Fairs held in cities like Frankfurt, London, Beijing and Moscow by the Publishers/ Authors including representatives of Publishers’ Associations.
- Book Reading/ Discussion Sessions, Literary Festivals, Quiz Programmes, as well as Seminars and Conferences on book publishing, children’s literature, trend in publishing in regional languages etc., in India and abroad.
Quantum of Assistance:
Grant for specific projects shall be restricted to 75% of the expenditure, subject to a maximum of Rs.10.00 lakh per event. The quantum of assistance will depend on the recommendation of the Expert Committee.
For More Information: Click Here