- Led by India, a number of countries joined the battle against the Chinese move, even launching a protest at UNGA president, Sam Kutesa’s residence.
- A few days before the UNGA session, Chinese and Russian diplomats, in a stealth operation, attempted to insert a couple of paragraphs into the text and Kutesa agreed to remove the offending paragraphs.
- In all of this diplomatic warfare, the US stayed strangely silent – either to see whether India could win on its own, or because they are keeping their powder dry to kill the process later, or because they silently supported the Sino-Russian move.
- The UNGA decision to negotiate UNSC reform succeeded on two counts.
- First, after 23 years there is a text on which the UN can negotiate a reform agenda.
- Second, in a fair fight, the 13-country group led by China and including Pakistan and Italy called United for Consensus could not drum up enough support for stalling the process.
- China and Russia been working on the Jamaican government to remove Courtney Rattray, the prime brain behind the UNSC reform text, so he cannot head the negotiations on the text and it can be given to someone unfamiliar with the history of the text. That would deal a blow to India.