- There is no proposal to increase the percentage of women personnel in CAPF upto 33 percent.
- However, in compliance of recommendations given by Parliamentary Committee on Empowerment of Women in its sixth report, directions have been issued to all CAPFs to bring percentage of women in the forces to 5%.
- The force-wise details of women personnel at present are as under:-
Force/Orgz’n Posted Strength Female %age of Women w.r.t. posted strength CRPF 286892 6120 2.13% CISF 126636 6203 4.89% SSB 79049 1186 1.50% BSF 248882 3534 1.42% ITBP 80864 1570 1.75% AR 65609 485 0.74% Total 887932 19098 2.15%
Steps to enhance the strength of women in CAPFs
- In the ongoing recruitment of Constables/General Duty, out of total vacancies of 62390, 8533 (about 14%) are earmarked for women.
- Government has approved recruitment of 2772 Mahila personnel (21 Companies) during the year 2014-15 to 2017-18 in Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB).
- Government has approved raising of 02 Mahila (women) Battalions in place of 02 General Duty Battalions in Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) to be raised in the year 2015-16 and 2016-17.
Women personnel of General Duty cadre are deployed for performing combat duties like:-
- Gate management, Checking and Frisking
- Patrolling duties
- Interrogation and escorting of female apprehendees.
- Law & Order duties
- Static guard duties at some of vital installations and also deployed during Shri Amarnathji Yatra
- Also deployed in Maoist affected states for anti-Naxal operations