- Despite the growing maritime friction, both nations agreed on increasing bilateral naval cooperation during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s recent visit to China.
- China has confirmed its participation in the Indian International Fleet Review (IFR) in Visakhapatnam in February 2016.
- This is the first time the Chinese Navy will take part in the event.
- Their participation will be in terms of both ship and personnel.
- The development comes at a time of growing competition between the two countries for strategic space in the Indian Ocean with the Chinese Navy’s increasing forays into the region.
- The two sides will exchange visits of naval ships and hold PASSEX [passing exercises] and SAR [search and rescue] exercises.