- UCPMP has been proposed by department of Pharmaceuticals and brought in to practice from 1st of Jan 2015 but it is voluntary.
- Now, the department wants to modify it and make it compulsory.
- It proposes to prohibit accommodating doctors by any means i.e. arranging foreign trips, providing hospitality, supplying sample drugs etc.
- They have already commenced reworking of the code by holding discussions with all stakeholders including industry, Medical Council of India and others.
- Drug Controller General of India, Health Ministry and NGOs will also be involved in the discussions. This code is also applicable to marketing companies of medical devices.
- The code was applicable initially for six months but extended twice, and now in force till end of December of this year.
- Under this code companies are permitted to fund research activities but disclosures to be made strictly. Strict measures imposed for audio and video promotions also under this code.
source: Economic Times