- The department of personnel and training has decided to utilize the services of the retired government officials not below the rank of deputy secretary in central government or equivalent rank in state and PSUs, who retired with clean records and below the age 70years as on 1st of April of the year of empanelment, to speed up the enquiries and to get unbiased reports against erred officials.
- The enquiries are being delayed or true picture are not reflected in the reports as the officer under departmental enquiry is influencing the enquiry officer by using undue influences.
- To eliminate redtapism, favoritisms and nepotism in the departmental enquiries in central, state and Public Sector Undertakings, DoPT has taken up the measure and sent a notification to all the departments.
- The retired officer, who is empanelled, has to maintain utmost secrecy and the enquiry should be completed within 90 days of his appointment to conduct the enquiry. He will be paid honorarium ranging between Rs 20,000 and Rs 75,000 per enquiry, in addition to transport allowance of Rs 40,000 and Rs 30,000 per case if no secretarial assistance is provided by the department concerned.
- A three-member committee in the respective cadre controlling authority will decide empanelment of retired officers.
Source: Economic Times