Name of the scheme: UJJAWALA
Purpose: It is a comprehensive scheme for prevention of trafficking and rescue, rehabilitation and reintegration of victims of trafficking for commercial sexual exploitation.
- To prevent trafficking of women and children for commercial sexual exploitation through social mobilization and involvement of local communities, awareness generation programmes, generate public discourse through workshops/ seminars and such events and any other innovative activity.
- To facilitate rescue of victims from the place of their exploitation and put them in safe custody.
- To provide rehabilitation services both immediate and long term to the victims by providing basic amenities/needs such as shelter, food, clothing, medical treatment including counselling, legal aid and guidance and vocational training.
- To facilitate reintegration of the victims into the family and society at large.
- To facilitate repatriation of cross-border victims to their country of origin.
- Social Welfare/Women and Child Welfare Department of State Government,
- Women’s Development Corporations,
- Women’s Development Centres,
- Urban Local Bodies,
- Reputed Public/ Private Trust or Voluntary Organizations.
However, the organization must have adequate experience in the field of trafficking, social defence, dealing with women and children in need of care and protection, children in conflict with law etc.
Eligibility of the implementing organizations:
- The agency must be registered under law and must have a properly working Managing Body with its powers, duties and responsibilities clearly defined and laid down in its preamble.
- The organization must not work for the profit of any individual.
- It should ordinarily have three years experience after its registration.
- Its financial position must be sound.
- The organization must have facilities, resources, experience and personnel to initiate the scheme for which assistance is sought.
- Women and children who are vulnerable to trafficking for commercial sexual exploitation.
- Women and children who are victims of trafficking for commercial sexual exploitation.
Components of the scheme:
For more information about the scheme, visit here