Name of the scheme: Working Women Hostel
Purpose: The main purpose of this scheme is to provide safe and affordable accommodation to working women.
Following categories of working women and their children will be covered under this Scheme-
- Working women, who may be single, widowed, divorced, separated, married but whose husband or immediate family does not reside in the same city/area. Particular preference may be given to women from disadvantaged sections of the society. There should be also provision for reservation of seats for physically challenged beneficiaries.
- Women who are undergoing training for job are also eligible, provided that the total training period does not exceed one year. The number of women under training for job should not exceed 30% of the total hostel capacity.
- Girls up to the age of 18 years and boys up to the age of 5 years, accompanying working mothers will be provided accommodation, with their mothers.
Income Limit, Rent and Period of Stay:
- Working Women will be entitled to hostel facilities provided their gross income does not exceed Rs. 50,000/- consolidated (gross) per month in metropolitan cities, or Rs 35,000/- consolidated (gross) per month, in any other place.
- Total rent charged from the women must not exceed 15% of their gross salary in the case of single bed rooms, 10% in case of double bed rooms and 7 ½ % in case of dormitories.
- No working woman will be allowed to stay in a hostel, assisted under this scheme for more than 3 years.
Financial Assistance Components:
- 75% of the cost of construction of the building of working women hostel only on public land.
- One-time non-recurring grant at the rate of Rs.7,500/- per inmate at the time of commencement of the hostel for purchase of furniture (including bed, table, chair, almirah etc.) and furnishings. Cost of Washing Machine and Geysers/ Solar Water Heating System as approved by the Project Sanctioning Committee (PSC) will be reimbursed to the Implementing Agency along with final instalment on submission of receipts.
- Grants for replacement of items like washing machines and geysers/ solar water heaters will be sanctioned once in five years provided the hostel has been maintained properly during the preceding five year period.
- Financial assistance for hostels to be run in rented premises. Amount of rent should be assessed by the State PWD/ District Collector. The rent received from the inmates shall be utilized for maintenance, house-keeping, security service, office establishment, expenditure towards water and electricity charges and any other support services other than mess.
Agencies/ Organizations which can apply for assistance:
- State Government agencies including Women Development Corporations, Women Finance Corporations etc.
- Urban Municipal Bodies including Cantonment Boards
- Panchayati Raj Institutions
- SHGs (Self Help Groups)
- Recognized Colleges/ Universities
- Civil Society Organisations having proven track record of working in the fields of women’s welfare/ social welfare/ women’s education subject to the condition that such organization is registered under the Indian Societies Registration Act, 1860 or any relevant State Act; Public Trusts registered under any law for the time being in force, and Co- operative institutions.
Eligibility Criteria of the agencies:
- It should be either recognized by the State/ UT administration under any existing scheme/law or should be well known with the experience of working in the field for at least 3 years, and its work should be satisfactory.
- It should have a properly constituted Managing Body with its powers, duties and responsibilities clearly defined and laid down.
- It must have been engaged in the field of women’s welfare/ social welfare/ women’s education for a minimum period of three years.
- Its financial position should be sound and it should have facilities, resources, personnel and experience to undertake the management of such a project.
- It should run the hostel and the Day-care Centre for pre-school children on a non-profit basis.
For more information regarding this scheme and to avail the benefits, visit here.