- India has restored a key tariff advantage to local manufacturers that was snatched away following a Supreme Court judgement.
- Domestic manufacturers of electronic items such as mobile phones, laptops and tablets will get a boost from this incentive, as will others such as coal producers.
- The Central Board of Exicse and Customs, has said only those manufacturing goods in India can enjoy a concessional 2% duty regime without availing of tax credit on inputs.
- If the electronic goods are manufactured from inputs or capital goods on which appropriate duty of excise leviable.
- The move will boost the government’s ‘Make in India’ programme.