- Indian Navy is set to test fire the long-range surface to air Barak 8 missile.
- The missile is being jointly developed by Israel Aerospace Industries, India’s DRDO, Israel’s Administration for the Development of Weapons and Technological Infrastructure, Elta Systems, Rafael and other companies.
- The missile system aims to enhance the Navy’s capabilities against incoming missiles, planes and drones.
- The missile had undergone a successful test in Israel November, 2014.
- Barak 8 is considered to be a major asset for Indian Navy because it adds a potent system designed to destroy any anti-ship missile launched by Pakistani or Chinese navy.
- Barak 8 provides protection against a variety of aerial platforms and munitions including aircraft, helicopters, unmanned aircraft and sea-skimming missiles.
- Barak 8 can operate day and night, in all weather conditions, and successfully deals with simultaneous threats engagements, even in severe saturation scenarios.